Friday, September 10, 2010

Getting a detrimentally late start...

I think that my most recent positive class experience is the best place to start for a reflective blog.  I took a class last semester that I think I will remember more than any other class I will ever take in college.  I don't think it was just the professor that made the class so exceptional, but he certainly played a massive role in it. 

The class had been taught by the same professor for a good number of years, and he had developed the curriculum so well that, even when things didn't go as planned, it seemed as if he was running it seamlessly. It was a class designed to allow the professor to oversee and mediate in class discussions and design lesson plans based on what the students discussed and taught to eachother.

He didn't follow the Goals to evaluation schema, per se, but he made it very clear that he didn't want to be the one talking all of the time. Because the class was a literature class, it was important to hear from all of the students and get a classwide discussion going. Instead of standing up at the front of the class asking students questions and making them respond to them, the professor sat intermingled in the class, helped groups of students develop a lesson plan for a certain book, and contributed to the conversation just as the rest of the class did as the small group of students he had met with earlier initiated the book discussions.

Not only did I retain what I would consider to be above average amounts of information, but I made more friends in that class and felt more comfortable in that environment than I have in any class I've been in since elementary school! Overall, there wasn't one bad thing I could think to say about that class. It was just all around wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I think some people do alignment naturally. I think schemes like the pillars of alignment are for double checking that you're really teaching what you think or say you are. We are never aligned all of the time though and there has to be room for creative change and inspiration. Also, no matter how aligned a classroom environment is or isn't, nothing can replace a good teacher but a good teacher.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete